This week (16th - 22nd November) is Road Safety Week and with daylight hours beginning to dwindly, we thought we would offer some tips on how to stay safe when out and about with your dog.
* Be visable. Both you and your dog. Wear reflective/high viz clothing. This can include, high viz jackets, vests, wrist/leg bands, reflective collars or light up leads and collars. The choice is endless!
* Keep to pavements and well light areas. If there is no pavement, walk against the flow of traffic and keep your dog on the side away from the road.
* Keep your dog on a short lead. Only let them off the lead in a safe area away from any roads.
* Carry a small Dog First Aid kit.
* Carry a small torch or wear a head torch. This can make picking up after your dog easier.
* Carry a fully charged mobile phone. As well as being able to use the torch on your phone, should you need help in any way while out, contact can be made straight away.
* Programme your vets contact details in to your mobile phone. This should include any out of hours details as these may be different.
* Don't chat on your mobile phone. Stay focused and be aware of your surroundings.
* Don't wear headphones. You need to be able to hear what is going on around you.
* Should the worst happen and you become separated from your dog, make sure they are wearing an ID tag and that your microchip details are up to date. This will help reunite you with your dog as soon as possible.