top of page

Dogs and Jellyfish


It isn't unusual to see washed up jellyfish on beaches, some seem to have more than others.


While the jellyfish may be dead, they still have the ability to sting several weeks after dying. If a jellyfish stings your dog, it is important to get them seen by a vet as soon as possible.


The sting can be very painful. If your dog is stung, it is important to follow these steps:


1) Contact a vet straight away.


2) Pull the remaining tentacles off with a stick or a towel (or similar), never rub them and be careful that you don't come into contact with them.


3) Never rub the affected area with sand and always clean it with sea water rather than fresh water. This will help deactivate the sting.


4) Take your dog to the vet as soon as possible.


Symptoms can show from minutes after contact to a few hours after being stung. While for most dogs it is a painful, unpleasant experience, very rarely a dog may develop an anaphylactic reaction (this is a severe and potentially life threatening allergic reaction) This will require immediate veterinary attention.


There are many types of jellyfish in our oceans and, many have developed several different types of of toxins.


Common symptoms of a jellyfish sting can include:

  • Nausea with vomiting

  • Pain

  • Lethargy

  • Swelling at the affected area

  • Excessive drooling

  • Coughing

  • Difficulty with breathing

  • Licking the affected area

  • Muscle cramps

The recovery time for dogs stung by a jellyfish can range from 2 to 48 hours and most dogs will recover with no lasting side effects.



Commentaires


bottom of page