top of page

Why Is Chocolate Bad For Dogs?

With chocolate being a firm favourite as part of our Easter treats, for our dogs it's not a treat but something toxic.

Chocolate contains a chemical called Theobromine and dogs can't digest it the same way as humans. The darker the chocolate, the higher the concentration of Theobromine which in turn means it can be more toxic for our canine friends. And, it isn't just Easter eggs we need to look out for but also, biscuits and cakes.

The amount and type of chocolate a dog has eaten in relation to its body weight is extremely important when trying to anticipate possible symptoms. For example, a dog the size of a Border Collie may not be as badly affected as a dog the size of a Dachshund. Knowing your dogs weight can be vital in these circumstances.


  • Vomiting

  • Diarrhoea

  • Hyperactivity/ Being over excited

  • Increase in heart rate

  • Increase in weeing

  • Increase in thirst

  • Seizures

  • Collaspe

  • Death

What to do

If you think your dog has eaten chocolate, contact your vet immediately. This is never a time to 'wait and see how they go'.

The Animal Poisonline is also available 24 hours a day for advice however, there is a fee involved for this service. The contact number is, 01202 509000.


bottom of page