Eggs -tra special Easter

As the Easter Bunny has been deemed an 'essential worker' some of us will still be celebrating Easter with Easter Eggs and hot cross buns but with a different feel to it this year and adapting how we go about our usual traditions under lockdown.

To make sure this Easter is enjoyable and safe for you and your canine friend, just follow our top tips.



Chocolate:

Ensure all the family know how dangerous chocolate can be for dogs. This means no sharing and storing it up out of the dogs reach... some dogs in search of a chocolate delicacy suddenly find they have super agility skills!

Foil Easter Egg wrapping shouldn’t be left around for a dog to chew. It can’t be digested and can lead to your dog choking or intestinal blockages which may require surgery.

For Easter Egg hunts at home, make sure your dog doesn’t find the eggs first! If they come with you, keep them on a lead, even in your house and garden. Alternatively, find them a quiet room in the house with a toy or canine Easter treat of their own where they can safely stay until the Easter Egg hunt has finished.

Why is chocolate so dangerous for dogs?

Chocolate is made from cocoa beans which is full of caffeine as well as the chemical Theobromine. Dogs metabolise this chemical much more slowly than us so the effects can last for hours. Even a tiny amount can cause problems. Large quantities can lead to hyperactivity, rapid heart rate, vomiting, diarrhoea and convulsions. Symptoms can occur 2/24 hours after ingestion. If you think your dog may have eaten chocolate, call your vet straight away.


Hot Cross Buns:

Who doesn’t like a hot cross bun with melted butter?

Hot cross buns can contain raisins, currants and sultanas. These are all toxic to dogs At this time of year, it is therefore important that hot cross buns are kept well away from your dog. It isn’t known why these fruits are toxic or how much can be poisonous for your dog. Some dogs have been affected only moderately while others severely. It can also depend on how much has been consumed. Symptoms can show as vomiting , diarrhoea, lethargy and eventually kidney failure. As with chocolate, don’t share and keep out of reach.


HAPPY EASTER FROM ALLWINDS

Proud to support:

street vet copy_edited.png
logo.png
  • Twitter - White Circle
  • Facebook - White Circle
  • Instagram - White Circle
FSB-LOGO.png

Allwinds Dog First Aid Ltd

5 Woodcroft Meadows

Bishopswood, Nr Chard, TA20 3HA

Incorporated Companies House

Crown Way Cardiff CF14 3UZ

Reg number 11455371

© Allwinds Ltd 2020